Sauteed Sweet Potato Rice cooked using Tomatoes, Onions & Indian Spices in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
You may use any oil you prefer, I find Extra Virgin Olive Oil by Del Monte is the best variety for Healthy Indian style cooking.
Pilaf = Pulao
Rice Long Grain – 2 cups, Washed, Soaked & Drained
Sweet Potato – 3 Medium Size Pcs, Diced
Onion – 3 Medium Size Pcs, Thinly Sliced
Tomato – 2 Medium Size, Pureed
Curd – 1/4 Cup
Olive Oil – 2 Tbsp
Garam Masala Powder – as per taste
Red Chilli Powder – as per taste
Turmeric Powder – as per taste
Salt – as per taste
Water – 2 Cups, Filtered/Purified
Bay Leaf – 1 Pcs
Black Peppercorn – 3 Pcs
Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
Cloves – 2 Pcs
Optional Garnish – Fresh Cilantro (Coriander Leaves)
- Heat Olive oil in a pressure cooker,
- Add the Dry Masala, let it splutter,
- Once spluttering goes down, add onions and sweet potato to it,
- Fry well until the onions start turning brown,
- Add Salt, Turmeric, Red Chilli & Garam Masala Powder to it,
- Keep mixing well, till onions are finally brown
- and now, add tomato puree to it,
- Keep flame medium till gravy is properly cooked (when oil separates)
- Now add curd, cook for another five minutes,
- Add rice, 2 cups of water, let it cook for two whistles and
- Transfer contents to serving bowl or rice plate,
Garnish with Fresh Cilantro (as you like it)
Voila, Sweet Potato Rice is ready for the table.
Serve Hot with chilled Curd or Raita as an accompaniment.
Bon Appétit !!
Next post: Why should Sweet Potatoes be in your diet?